- Accredited BA degree, diploma and transcript
- Preference is given to applicants whose BA degrees are in history, archaeology, ecology, biology, or geology
- A minimum of 3.0 GPA, 80%, or equivalent
- TOEFL scores (if native language is not English or candidates have not previously studied at an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is English). A minimum of 570 (paper-based test), 230 (computer-based test), or 89 (internet-based test)
- Two letters of recommendation from an academic
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Copy of valid passport & six passport-sized photos
- Personal statement (500-750 words)
- Medical forms
For more information click here.
Check application deadlines.
For international students tuition and fees for the full academic year is $US 10,630*. The fee breakdown appears below:
|Service Fees (Security, Library, Health Insurance, etc.)
|TOTAL (in US Dollars)
*This information is relevant for International applicants only. For Israeli citizens and ID holders please contact the Tuition Department here
There is a non-refundable $100 application fee per academic year for the program.
Dormitories are available for $450 per month.
* Final tuition for the next academic year is updated each August. For more information on the cost of our programs, dormitories, etc. and payment instructions please click here. For financial aid information visit the "Scholarships" tab on this page.
Field activities are an integral part of the program. They expose students to applied science, a variety of research methods, a first-hand acquaintance with the sea and an introduction to the challenges of marine studies. The curriculum includes field trips as well as field-based courses and research. Students will also be required to participate in a summer internship program, during which they will work on a field project under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- Marine and Coastal Research Methods
- Mediterranean Maritime Civilizations (A): the Bronze and Iron Ages
- The Mediterranean Sea: Ecology, Geology, and Oceanography
- Interdisciplinary Seminar
- Seminar on Global Sea Level Changes and Their Effect on Human Civilizations
- Seminar on Sea Trade and Interregional Interactions in the Mediterranean: From the Bronze Age to the End of the Iron Age
Field Trips to the Coastal Sites of Israel
- International Law of the Sea
- Mediterranean Fisheries and Aquaculture: Past, Present, and Future
- Mediterraenan Maritime Civilizations (B): from Archaic Greece to the Ottoman Empire
- Scientific Applications in Maritime Archaeology
- Ship and Marine Installations: A Model-Building Workshop
- The Historiography of the Mediterranean
Summer Projects include: Coastal and Marine Geology, Biology, and Ecology; and Coastal and Underwater Archaeology
This is a sample curriculum. For more information please click here.
Prof. Ruth Shahack-Gross is head of the International MA in Maritime Civilizationas and leading the Laboratory for Sedimentary Archaeology at the Dept. of Maritime Civilizations, Charney School of Marine Sciences, University of Haifa, Israel. Graduated in Geology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Archaeological Anthropology at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Conducted post-doctoral research and acted as the head of a research group at the Kimmel Center for Archaeological Science, Weizmann Institute, Israel. Prof. Shahack-Gross's main interest is understanding natural and anthropogenic processes that result in the formation of archaeological sites. She combines her geological and anthropological backgrounds into a unique research approach called geo-ethnoarchaeology. Her research methodology includes the study of archaeological sediments using Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy, analysis of microscopic remains (phytoliths, ash, and more), and micromorphology. She applies these methods to study experimental, ethnographic and archaeological materials and their modes of formation and preservation. .
Read more on the laboratory webpage
For a full list of faculty staff and their fields of specialization please visit us here.
This program is approved for MASA scholarship. Information on scholarships and financial aid can be found here.